Sunday, September 9, 2012

Vintage Holiday QAL Week 6: Blocks 11 & 12


It was wonderful to finish the last two blocks this afternoon! I was oh so tempted to keep going and start putting the quilt top together, but I figured that it was probably more important to get dinner on the table for my hungry family. Priorities, right?

Block 11
It's amazing to me how the simplest things can become difficult when you're so close to the finish line. Does this ever happen to any of you? Block 11 is a pretty straightforward design, but it gave me endless trouble today. For some reason it took me forever to decide which fabrics to use on this one. Then I had almost finished sewing the whole block together when I suddenly realized that the print was crooked on one of the turquoise end pieces. I debated fixing it, but I knew it would forever haunt me if I didn't, so I pulled the seams apart and replaced it. Of course, then the other end piece looked a tad off to me as well, so I had to pull that one out and exchange it too. Unfortunately, I had trouble getting my seams exactly right when I put it back together and had to rip them out and resew at least twice. It's a good reminder to me to double check these things while I'm still at the design stage of the process and before the sewing machine is actually turned on.

Block 12
On the other hand, Block 12 -- which I figured would be the more time consuming of the two this week -- took me all of fifteen minutes to plan and sew, and I absolutely loved it as soon as I saw it there on the table. Funny how these things work out sometimes...


There was no way on earth that all twelve of these blocks were going to mind their manners and sit quietly for a photo shoot outside with the wind that was blowing tonight, so this picture had to be taken indoors. It makes me infinitely happy to see all the blocks together at last, and I can't wait to finish the quilt top this week. I noticed that a few of you must have been just as eager this week, as I'm seeing quite a few completed quilt tops starting to pop up in the flickr group. They look so amazing!

My grandmother doesn't have a computer, but she's been excitedly following the progress of this quilt through pictures that I send her. Now she's decided that she needs a Vintage Holiday lap quilt for herself, so I started working on one for her last week. I'll have some photos of my progress there for you tomorrow, so be sure to come back and take a look!

Linking up to the Let's Get Acquainted Monday Link-up.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh this is looking so great! Love that your grandmother wants one too!! So nice to have your work appreciated ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is looking great! What a shame you had to do dinner instead of sewing it together lol! Things are always like that in my house too. That's so lovely that your grandma wants a quilt too, well of course she would, all your work is beautiful :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is a great looking quilt in the works. I love your fabric choices! Stopping by from Plum and June!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so lovely, very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look great. I wish I wasn't so far behind on getting mine complete. I am hoping to work on them on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats for getting the blocks done, even with the ripping - they look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fab - I'm dithering about my sashing.. grey or red...grey or red....???

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great. I am so jealous! I wanted to join the fun but I got a new job and not being able to keep up was going to really be a bummer. So instead I watch your unfold on the blog. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi - these are fantastic! I really like the look of this quilt with those fabrics - such a great vintage vibe - and I also love all the choices you made in which fabrics to combine for the different blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous blocks!! It looks fantastic all together :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gasp!! It looks fantastic! Great job! You are a wonderful granddaughter! :) Can't wait to see the progress on your Grandma's quilt too!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...