Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Lotus Pond Glasses Case


My little Bear started wearing glasses just over a year ago. She wasn't much over six months old when we noticed that she had a lazy eye, but her doctor was kind enough to hold off on ordering her glasses until she was three years old and had some chance of keeping them on. When I think of how irresponsible I was with my own glasses as a child, I've been pretty impressed with how quickly and calmly Bear accepted her pair as a part of life. It may have something to do with the fact that my little sweetheart is blind as a bat without them. Everyone from the eye doctor to his nurse to the guy selling the shockingly thick pair of lenses to us at Costco kept insisting, "Make sure she wears them all the time. She really needs them."


Those of you who have children who wear glasses know that those lenses stay clean for approximately fifteen minutes out of every day, so we've learned to keep a large supply of lens wipes on hand to help with the constant smudging. Bear has been begging me to sew a case for her glasses, preferably one with a compartment for wipes too. I was thinking through ideas of how I wanted to design it, when it suddenly occurred to me that all I had to do was enlarge my key pouch tutorial from earlier this month. And the rest is history.


All the prints in this project come from Lotus Pond, Rae Hoekstra's adorable new collection for Cloud9 Fabrics. I've been excited about this fabric since I saw the first images months ago, and it's even better in person. I love her color choices (nowhere else have I seen that perfect shade of kelly green) and those sweetly whimsical illustrations. I'll definitely be buying more of this collection in the months to come.

Two yards of Feather River from Birch Fabrics is still up for grabs until Friday night, so stop by my Giveaway Day post to get your name in the drawing if you haven't done it yet. I've had so much fun getting to know more of you this week through your comments on that post. Meet me back here on Friday, and I'll have a winner for you!

15 comments:

  1. Such an adorable case! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make such lovely little things for your girls Heidi. She looks super pleased with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, it's a pleasure the way you create not only beautifully, but of necessity for your family. Fabulous project Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to incorporate the card pockets for the wipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to incorporate the card pockets for the wipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab idea! Love the fabrics and the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweeeeet! Great job with the fussy cutting too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a sweet make, great seeing these new fabrics being used in the real world too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have worn glasses since kindergarten. I know my kiddos are in for the same fate. I love love love this glasses pouch! What a great way to keep things practical, yet exciting and adorably fun. Would there be a tutorial coming soon? I'd love to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pouch! Those fabrics are just yummy! I'll have to get to work and sew cases for all the glasses-wearers in the house now! My 15 year old daughter Kelly started wearing glasses about age 4, and same thing as your daughter, she's blind as a bat! I felt so bad that she couldn't see for the first 4 years of her life! Our eye Dr actually put her in contacts from the very beginning, because she figured that a child that age would have problems with glasses staying clean, staying on, etc. It was great we didn't have to deal with all that! Sounds like your little one is doing well with hers! And a pretty new case to boot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is genius and beautiful too! Well done to her for looking after her glasses so nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I've tried making cute cases for my daughter's glasses in hopes that it would help her not misplace them but instead she just had two things to misplace - the glasses and the empty case! Glad you don't have that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! It's so cute! I wish I had had a sewing mom like you when I was in 4th grade and got glasses. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea..you are so creative....great Grandma gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous little case and a great way to encourage your daughter to look after her glasses! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...