Sunday, November 8, 2015

Favorite Things

Melody Miller Retro Nine Patch Quilt by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

The longer I quilt, the more I know what I like. A whole lot of my favorite things ended up being part of this retro nine-patch quilt, things like...

Melody Miller Retro Nine Patch Quilt by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

1. Melody Miller's fabric -- This designer can do no wrong in my eyes. She has a genius for walking the classy line between vintage and modern. I alternated 6" squares with the nine-patch blocks, perfect for featuring the large prints in her early Ruby Star collections. I love that both the designs as well as the mix of bright and subdued colors give this quilt a lovely retro feel.

Melody Miller Retro Nine Patch Quilt by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

2. Linen sashing -- I'm madly in love with the contrast of yarn dyed linen against quilting cotton. It just looks fabulous every...single...time.

Melody Miller Retro Nine Patch Quilt by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

3. Double gauze backing -- Wanna feel like a cozy little newborn baby swaddled in your favorite blankie? Use this stuff on the back of your next quilt. It gets softer each time you wash it and can be found in plenty of modern designs like this cheerful aqua version by Cotton + Steel.

Melody Miller Retro Nine Patch Quilt by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

4. Colorful binding -- I discovered a little secret last spring about Melody's wildly popular viewfinder reels: they make an incredible binding. This is the second quilt I've bound in this print, and there will definitely be more.

The best part of making a project out of your favorite fabrics? You have a whole lot of fun while you sew.

And yeah, you're pretty fond of that finished quilt too...

7 comments:

  1. This is so sweet. I love how you backed it in double gauze. Keeping it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet! I have not used double gauze. Any special tips for using it as a quilt back? Can you spray baste it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! What a perfect way to showcase all of those fabulous melody miller fabrics. And I agree on the double gauze - I'll only back a quilt I'm that or voile/lawn now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I have my first double-guaze backing waiting in the quilting line-up, and that quilt is MINE. hehe :) Can't wait for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok that fabric for a binding is a fantastic idea and have the perfect quilt to use it on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your linen sashing, and the binding is so fun: I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this quilt - I can't stop looking at it. I came across it while researching ideas of what to do with my Melody Miller stash, needless to say this has been very influential - I'm in the planning phase - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...